Skip to main content

The Ring....

What goes around comes around. This is the universal karmic theory. It plays a vital role in everyone’s lives. It is also called the boomerang theory.
A hot summer afternoon. It looked like the hottest day. The AC at work was at its max. Cooling capacity. Work was at full swing. I had no time even for a breather. Most of the times, the recruitment profession leaves one drained out of energy. Making calls, follow up, client servicing, chasing targets takes a toll on oneself.
In the midst of this busy schedule and in between calls the desk phone rings and asked to call back on the number. Thinking it was an official call, decided to call back in a couple of minutes.
The next few minutes, after the ring of what I heard, left me with two options. Ignore or set the trail on…A trail of which the outcome was unknown and uncertain of its completion. My first thought-Could it is a prank call? Alternatively, was there really an iota of truth in what I heard? This was maddening and terrifying.
Here it goes…A lost wallet was found on the road in the city, kilometres away from where I reside or my workplace. It carried my number and name and my profession. The caller and the wallet were complete strangers. I had no clue of what was happening. No one whom I know closely had travelled that road either.
I did not believe initially and disconnected the call. The clock kept ticking on and so was my mind. The clock kept reminding me to sign off for the day whereas the mind kept pushing me to take the first step towards the trail.
I finally made up my mind to find out the truth. I dialled the number with ambiguity and dilemma. The person said exactly what he said when he initially dialled. He too was unaware of the wallet owner.
 He was equally perplexed. Still keeping his faith in humanity, he wanted to unite the wallet and its owner.
My profession makes it easier to judge voices, with the same experience, I asked him to look for more details in it. He finally found a training institute number. I thanked him & said would do my best to find out. There were two motives to do so.
First to find the missing link. Second to close it. Carrying the same faith in humanity further, I rang the institute number. The ring went on and on at the training institute. At this point, this was my only lead available. I tried calling students from the institute going online. That turned futile too. Nothing seemed to work. Tried thinking hard to check deeper corners if my mind...no response either.
 I was to give up, but something made me look into it one more time. I tried the lead no. Again...prayed for someone to answer. The ring just would not end. Then it stopped. A male voice answered the call.
After listing to the entire situation, he remorsefully agreed. I was getting impatient of the silence on the other side. The silence seemed to have lasted forever. Meanwhile, there was a click and the line broke off to that silence. On the other side, I felt sad, dejected, and helpless. Another attempt to reach the wallet owner went in vain.
I tried for one last time. This time, the ring was replaced by the click of the voice little sooner than expected. Seemed as if things were finally falling into place. As if the wallet also looking forward to being with its owner.
Another crucial lead availed. I was now looking forward to talking to the actual one...my wait did not seem long as the call was answered almost immediately. I did not know what to start the conversation with. Neither did I recognize the voice nor had the idea if he was aware of his lost possession.
I had to end this mystery. On conversation, he narrated the incident of losing his wallet on that same road the following evening and did not  know how to get it back. I was relieved. That I had reached the right person.
However, my credentials in that wallet were still a mystery. To my surprise, he identified himself to be a relative of one of my professional contact and had asked for official details on professional grounds...the darkest final cloud lifted and the rays of light spread over this mystery. He thanked me and collected the wallet the following day and he and his wallet were safe united.
I smiled to myself the following morning as it reminded me of a similar incident of a passerby who took all pains to return my work batch which I had thought was misplaced, but was actually lost...I felt as if I had returned his favour goodness with this incident. The morning seemed brighter, chirpy & the sun embraced with all its warmth.

© Copyright

All Rights reserved Lavanya M Rao
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WOMAN-THY NAME.....

Strong as a rock, emotions running deep as the ocean, patience of a saint, sweet as nectar, innocence that of a child, Mysterious like the universe, thoughtful and wise like a preacher, at the same time furious like the fire, anger like the volcano but above all someone who stands against all odds...This is no one but a WOMAN. As I was passing by I heard someone ask. Do we really need a special Day to celebrate for Women? I t can be taken in 2 ways. One—Maybe because she is special always OR in a note so positive form—Like Why do we need a special day for her? Don’t we already have so many days to celebrate?? Well, my take is...we have valentine’s day for people to express love –rather people who love each other, we have mother’s day, father’s day, May day so on and so forth. But, they are categorized for either a section of people OR for certain relationships.  I feel, Woman's day is a day that acknowledges the female gender, as a whole, irrespective of age, nation

1996-A Summer Afternoon

It was a summer afternoon. I was going through my college photographs, wishing those days were back and time would just stop there. How Nostalgic...The mere thought of it would bring an instant smile on my face. I was lost in thought when I recollected one of those adventurous trips that we had on one such summer afternoon. We friends would love to explore different places during our graduation.Those were fun filled days..no stress, no tension (except exams and project completion not to deny). Those were the days when we just wanted to be in the open...with nature...Do what we feel is right and just not bothered about the rest of the world. As said by someone time doesn't wait for anyone and does not come back. We set off to a nearby place at first.This is in the southern state of India with its mystic beauty and full of valleys and greenery.A sight that would take any one's breath away...On the way back..we found a fishery.They would breed fish there.We thought of explo

invisible writer

It was just another dull, ordinary day.. a more or less a routine.. where one is programmed oneself and knows which task precedes the other… On such days we often feel there would be something exciting happening in our lives..  at least for a few minute. Maybe this was the day…. I stepped into office thinking the tasks to be completed and anticipating more tasks that would be piled up for that day…. Everything seemed normal as always…people greeted each other in between work. Some working seriously and while some were on a short break as they had arrived before our batch started working.. in shifts(night). no one knew what was in store ahead of us…we were planning the day’s work…I, as usual, switched on my PC and logged in. checked my inbox for a few new emails…. It was passed 1:00 a.m in the morning where one lives like they are on the other side of the globe. It was later then that I resumed my work…Was doing some updating of the work done before when the writer struc